On 16 December 2020, a Steering Committe was held between BGE, the German federal company for radioactive waste disposal, and Andra. The objective was to discuss the 2021 roadmap for cooperation.
BGE and Andra signed a cooperation agreement in 2018 for a period of 5 years on various themes ranging from governance to public acceptance or disposal concepts.
An intial Steering Committee was held in Berlin in 2019, during which the 2019/2020 cooperation roadmap was drafted. Some of the agreed-upon projects concerned knowledge management and clay properties. A visit to the Bure Underground Research Laboratory was held in 2019.
In December 2020, the second Steering Committee was organised by video conference due to current travel restrictions. More than 20 persons were connected to prepare the cooperation topics for the coming year. This meeting was also a good occasion to exchange on the status of national waste management programmes, disposal experience and best disposal practices.
After the presentations of Mr Abadie (Andra CEO) and Mr Studt (BGE CEO) as well as the BGE's Chief Operating Officer Dr. Lautsch and a presentation of the record of the 2019/2020 cooperation by Dr. Salsac (Andra Cooperation Manager), the presentations of new cooperation topics were thoroughly discussed.
Selected subjects of cooperation 2021 are:
- modelling and design of support structures in HLW repositories in claystone,
- ramp transport for the disposal of radioactive waste
- knowledge management.
Communication is also among the selected topics for 2021, as both coutries have launched a major communication program at local and national levels. The comparison of the practices implemented by the 2 countries will without doubt provide food for thought for future actions.
As soon as the pandemic situation allows , the partners will restore physicalmeetings, to enable deeper exchange of knowledge and experiences.
The coming year promises to be rich in exchanges and cooperation activities!
The BGE is mandated by the federal government to perform tasks in the final disposal of radioactive waste. The federally owned company was founded for this purpose in July 2016. The new company was created by a merger of the repository divisions of the Federal Office for Radiation Protection (BfS) as well as the operating companies Asse-GmbH and Deutsche Gesellschaft zum Bau und Betrieb von Endlagern für Abfallstoffe (DBE).
Find more at https://www.bge.de/en/
About the BGE BGE is the German federal company for radioactive waste disposal
The site search for High Level Waste disposal
- Preparation of proposals for a site for high-level radioactive waste in accordance with StandAG
- Preparation of the respective preliminary safety investigations
- Construction and operation of the repository after site selection
The Asse II mine
- The retrieval of waste from the Asse
- Emergency precautions in case of a possible flooding
- The Konrad final repository
The Konrad final repository
- Construction of the repository
- Operation of the repository, including product control of the delivered waste
The Morsleben final repository
- Keeping the mine open and the safe operation of the repository (without emplacement)
- Planning and subsequent implementation of decommissioning